- 2 lb grass-fed ground beef
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (or avocado oil)
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbsp chopped fresh
- 3 cups organic beef broth
- 1½ tsp arrowroot powder
- Stir together ground beef, almond meal, mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl; add egg, stirring to combine.
- Shape mixture into 6 patties.
- Heat a grill pan (or skillet) over medium-high heat; grill patties, 4 to 5 minutes per side or until no longer pink. Set aside, and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions. Cover and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onion is tender.
- Uncover, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring, until onions are very tender and caramel colored.
- Add tomato paste and thyme, stirring to combine. Add broth; bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle arrowroot powder over mixture, and cook, stirring, 1 minute or until gravy is thickened. Spoon gravy over patties.