- ½ (14 oz) package firm tofu cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- ½ cucumber, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz loaf whole wheat French bread
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Arrange tofu between layers of paper towels; place a heavy skillet on top to remove excess water.
- Let stand 30 minutes; place tofu in a shallow dish.
- Meanwhile, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, honey and ginger; pour ¼ cup mixture over tofu.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Combine remaining marinade, carrots, cucumber and green onion; let stand at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add tofu, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; cut each half into 2 pieces.
- Place 2 bread pieces on each of 2 plates; top with tofu, carrot salad and cilantro.
- Note: Banh mi is basically a Vietnamese sandwich.