- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 2 (16-oz) cans cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F; coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, oil, and vanilla in a bowl. Mix on medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in another bowl. Add half to sugar mixture; mix well. Add remaining flour mixture.
- Stir in apple, carrot, and 1 cup pecans until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cake layers cool in pans 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate; top with frosting. Add second cake layer; frost top and sides. Sprinkle with remaining chopped pecans.
- Serves 8 to 10.