- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (1-oz) box assorted liquid food colors and egg dye
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees (If you have double ovens, use them both.) Beat egg whites in a large clean mixing bowl until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form with an electric mixer.
- Increase speed to medium-high.
- Gradually add sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Fold in vanilla.
- Divide meringue mixture into 3 bowls.
- Add a few drops of yellow food color to one bowl, stirring with a spatula until blended.
- Stir in ¼ cup mini chips.
- Repeat with a few drops green food color, another bowl of meringue and ¼ cup chips, and then with blue food color and remaining meringue and chips.
- Drop meringue mixture by teaspoonfuls onto 2 large baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Turn oven off; let meringues stand in oven 1 hour or until cooled completely and crisp.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Makes 6 dozen.