- 6 egg whites
- ¾ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups crushed saltine crackers
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 (16-oz) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (16-oz) carton strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in 2 cups sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Fold in saltines and pecans.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13-x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until top is lightly browned and edges begin to crack.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread whipped topping over meringue.
- Stir together strawberries and remaining ¼ cup sugar; let stand 15 minutes.
- Spoon strawberry mixture over whipped topping; serve immediately.
- Makes 10 to 12 servings. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
Leave the tops on some of the strawberries for a pretty presentation.